Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Dull Saw

Dr. Stephen Covey tells the story of man walking through the woods one day. After walking a short distance he comes upon another man sawing down a tall tree. He stops to ask him what he is doing.
"Can't you see? I'm cutting down this tree!"
He sees exhaustion in the man's face, and hears it in his voice, and sees his clothes soaked with sweat. 
"How long have you been sawing?" the first man asks.
"Oh I don't know, maybe four or five hours." is the reply.
"I'll bet you're tired."
"I am.  I'm really beat!"
"How's the saw?"
"It's getting rather dull."
"Why don't you stop for a while and sharpen it?
 "I can't.  I'm too busy sawing!"

The lesson here is for all of us to stop once in a while and sharpen our own saw.  How many times in life do we get so busy and tied up in what we are doing, that we forget to stop and sharpen our saws?

No comments:

Post a Comment